Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

The never ending baby blanket


This is my first project in my craft challenge. It is the big bad baby blanket, from Deb Stoller's Stitch and Bitch. I won't tell you when I started it, or how old the first baby I started knitting it for is now. Suffice to say it is more like the never-ending baby blanket, as it has taken me forever to get this far. As it is huge, on circular needles and requires 4 balls of wool, it ges readily tangled and even with the aid of my wool balls in food bags I still spend an inordinate amount of time untangling every other time I turn. It is also not very portable.
This coupled with me getting bored and frustrated of untangling rather than knitting, giving up and knitting other things instead, has led to the blanket being on it's third baby now. Luckily I have obliging friends who keep having babies!
It is very pretty, but I would never try one in different colours quite like this again. I do plan to knit another one, one colour only (I may consider a contrasting border. Depends how much sanity I have left. I'm thinking not enough.) I am about 80 rows off finishing, which doesn't seem a lot, but experience tells me that with so many stitches in a row it is actually further off than I'd like to think .
I sincerely hope that I can finish it soon, although I have become quite accustomed to just picking it up and knitting some rows and may well miss it like a familar friend. I think that with some very intentional knitting and realistic assessment of all the other myriad things I have to do I can be finished within two to three weeks.
When I do, I am throwing a goodbye party for it <-- seriously.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment